Tuesday, January 6, 2009

10 Favourites

Man, this took a long time...

10 Favorites

Season: Summer - it's construction season!

Color: blue

Time: 12:34. There's a stupid Facebook group called "I make a wish at 11:11". I want to join and tell them that they are all retarded and that the real magic time is 12:34 (I mean, LOOK at it!), but I don't think they'd see the light. They're all just beyond my help.

Food: Sushi. Pasta. Turkey dinner with all the fixin's (YOU can have all the rest of the fixin's, I just need the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy & cranberry sauce)

Drink: Australian red wine. Some others are good too.

Ice cream: chocolate

Place: At home with everyone at home (second: at home with nobody at home, provided it's clean & there's no pressing "issues")

Sport: meh. OK, soccer. no, hockey. no, squash. meh...

Actor: meh. OK, Brad Pitt. Shut up! He's good! Shut up!

Actress: meh. OK, Cate Blanchett (kick ass Elizabeth II)

9 Currents

Feeling: time to go to bed

Drink: empty red wine glass (d'oh)

Time: 11:16

Show on TV: We don't have a TV anymore. We have a Guitar Hero display unit.

Mobile used: old Samsung flip. Very functional & does what I need it to, but I'm holding out for the Crackberry in spring...

Windows open: 4 Internet Exploder windows & my lookOut email platform (thanks to Albert for those monikers)

Underwear: what??? None of your business! OK, since it doesn't make me look too bad: Lululemon "boy shorts" & Victoria's secret some kind of push up thing. Oh yeah. It works for me baby...

Clothes: My Facebook status hints that I was in my pjs with bedhead all day, so this one doesn't make me look too good. It's late now, so pjs would be OK. Fleece pj bottoms are toasty

Thought: "Just crank out some answers & get to bed, dumbass!!"

8 Firsts

Nickname: Would come to close to revealing my true identity. Plus there isn't really one. One that's worth discussing. [Edit Jan 9/08: "Harmzie" - d'uh]

Kiss: Ick. I'm not going there. Suffice to say the super-mature boys in my high school had material for days (pretty long considering their attention span)

Crush: First *real* long-term one was one of the aforementioned super-matures. Probably long-term because I didn't have ANY kind of guts to pursue it (and thus get either affirmation or, y'know, closure - bitter cut-to-the-bone-painful kind of closure. Gee, why didn't I have the guts?) I didn't really have very good taste in crushes until Max

Friend: I'm not about outing people here, but I met her in grade 8 & it was the first time I discovered that people could like me for me. Kind of still wrestling with that...

Vehicle I drove: Drove? As in the first time I controlled anything large with a gas pedal? 1972 Dodge van (was a farm vehicle in an open field). First road-worthy (and I use the term loosely) vehicle generally considered to be mine? 1976 Toyota Corona station wagon (excellent durable vehicle despite the fact that it had practically no front quarter panel). First vehicle registered in my name? 1985 Chrysler LeBaron. Totalled that baby.

Job: Goose-tending-girl. Crappy, crappy job. Got good pipes though, hoisting all that grain in a wheelbarrow.

Date: Whoa. Too far back. Couldn't have been memorable. I think it was a movie.

Pet: a cat named "Glasses" I know. It's stupid, but I think I was, like 5 and I was under enormous pressure to name the damn thing. I looked around the room & saw my mom's glasses on a shelf and the rest is history. Including Glasses II & Glasses III (OK, so I wasn't very creative in that department)

7 Lasts

Drink: I've been out of wine (I know!!!) since before New Years, so Max just bought a box tonight. Where have you been, my precious darling??? I missed you so...

Kiss: Max just got back from Calgary last night, so... [bown chick bown bown] Oh, crap. It was actually Pepper's bedtime kiss. OK, so maybe I'm a little preoccupied with the return...

Meal: Mexicasa Taco Express (or some damn thing). Hey, Stewie ate a taco shell WITH MEAT & CHEESE IN IT!!! OMGWTFBBQ???

Website visited: blogger.com. Hello? Oh. Real website. Other than FaceCrack (or CrackBook, if you will), and LifeCandy (to cut & paste this), it would have to be Cracked.com. Sorry. Not very interesting today.

Movie watched: "Hancock" with Will Smith. It was OK, but not really challenging, y'know? Max suddenly realized that Charlize Theron is hot. Yay. Oh crap. That's the last movie I watched where I chose the movie (which technically, I didn't choose, Max did). The last movie I watched (like, 200 times since Christmas day) was actually Kung-Fu Panda.

Kenneth Cole Kicks AssPhone call: some squash date dude for Max (I should be more respectful. I think it was the guy that owns the store where Max got my awesome Christmas present - see photo at left). Filtering out all the "please buy my crap" (telemarketers) and "what time is dinner? What if we swap cars & bake half dinner here... etc" (my Over-Complicate-Things family, of which I am a full card-carrying & founding member) phone calls, it would have to be a nice long chat with my friend after her New Year's party (which she hosts the weekend after New Year's every year).

TV Show watched: I don't think I watch TV any more. I just commandeered the first season of "Arrested Development" from my folks and intend to watch that soon. Jason Bateman was one of the highlights of an otherwise bleak "Hancock" (see above). Other than that, I tried to watch "The Tudors", but found I wasn't intrigued as much as I had hoped and Henry's hotness (which was supreme, I'll tell you) only lasted so long... I find that a good brain-numbing hour is any of the CSI franchise. It's so bad it's good...

6 Have you ever...

...broken the law: That's what they're there for, no? (Oh wait. That's "rules", not laws... dang)

...been drunk: Do you even know me at all?? Of course I haven't.

...kissed someone you didn't know: I don't think so. There are far too many accounts of "kissed someone you didn't really want to", so I'm glad that wasn't the question. Then I'd have to get into the story of my first kiss, the old creepy retiring guy who said "I'm kissing ALL the girls before I leave" (FUKKETY that still pisses me off), the date-that-I-didn't-know-was-a-date-until-it-was-over in first year... That's about it, but it's far too many IMHO.

...been close to gun fire: Yes (grew up on a farm - the hunting, the rats, the cans, the precious antique cans)

...skinny dipped: Yes.

...broken anyone's heart: If the drunken slobbering ex-boyfriend blithering "I would have married you!" is any indication, then yes. But that's the only actual heartbreak "evidence" I have. There were countless others, let me tell you. when I pointed at Max and said "You. Me. Now." (Never mind that the post script to that is "who the hell are you?")

5 Things

...you can hear right now: Since I first read this item, my brain has snapshotted (have I mentioned that I get to make up words here?) a number of "what I'm hearing right now". The first time was the hum of the fan on my computer and that was it (my computer really needs the dust sucked out of it soon); the next six times had something to do with that fucking intriguing Guitar Hero... Right now, it's "Hit me with Your Best Shot" (at least GH picks good songs), 10 minutes ago it was "Talk Dirty To Me", which Max has been trying to master for a couple of days. The shrapnel of ear-worms has spread around the house and now my three kids run around our house singing "In the driveway; in my old-man's Ford; behind the bushes; until you're screaming for more more MORE!". At least I like the song.

...on your bed: uh... pillows? (Those ARE pillows)

...you ate today: Alton Brown's (he's my back-up guy if Max ever goes on a chef's strike. He knows he's replaceable too, so that's why I'm set for life) Home-made lemon meringue pie. OMFG it was good. (I made it, for the record - Max does the sustenance stuff, I do the fluff stuff.)

...you can’t live without: Home-made lemon meringue pie. Sorry. Lapse... There's nothing you can't live without. It's all about adapting. There are a number of things I would be devastated without, but "can't live without" suggests (to me) something like suicide should they disappear and I like to think that I'd not venture down that path. This also opens up the definition of "live" (like you'd be breathing, but would you really be "living") but then I think I'm overcomplicating the question a little (hey, it's what I do).

...you do when you get bored: I don't get bored because I never get enough done, so there's always something to do. But I surf the Internets a lot (I swear that will become a word if I have anything to do with it)

4 Places you have been today:

the bedroom, the kitchen, the bathroom, the basement... yeah, I didn't leave the house either.

3 Things on your desk right now:

Only 3? OK, weirdest 3:

- Guardrail from Speed Racer slot car set (cheap piece of crap);

- Green paper crown from Christmas cracker (opened Sunday - yes, Jan 4. It was either bring them to dinner, or my sister was going to throw them out);

- "Steamboat Hardware Kit"- Max gets the weirdest shit in his stocking at the farm. I wish our scanner worked because the package is priceless. It depicts a wonderfully crafty little wooden boat - beautifully painted with the steamboat hardware embedded with it. In fine print, it states "wooden structure not included". On the side, some key quotations include: "...an ideal inter-generational project"; and "It requires only very basic woodworking skills, a few handsaw cuts and one drilled hole". Yes, I'm going to say that at the Emergency Room Desk...

2 Choices

Black or White: WTF??? I'm not falling into this racial trap. But I wear black a lot. But I wear white a lot too. Usually together. Side-by-side. In harmony. Oh, lord, why can't we?

Hot or Cold: Hot. I hate being cold. One time Max pointed out to me that I hate being too hot to (he says a lot of stuff about me being too hot, but I won't go into that)

1 Place you want to visit:

Italy. OK. I saw my cousin's photos from her trip last spring & I'm really, really jealous. Could be that it takes me back to when I was 16 & went to France for the summer (sounds so worldly, classy, extravagant & worldly, doesn't it? Well, it was all of those things. It was also the first time I kicked myself in the ass and said "you WILL do this" and then did it. The Eiffel Tower rocked pretty hard too.)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

  1. I actually read this the morning after you'd posted it. And geez, girl, it took me forever to read! There's no rule -- you *can* stick to one word answers if you want, you know! ;)
    But I had to read it all, of course. And it had me smiling all the way through.
    Oh, I totally heart Alton Brown. He should trash his new show and go back to doing Good Eats.

    Steamboat Hardware Kit... cool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm... Alton Brown. Good thing my Freebie 5 list hasn't gone to the laminators yet! ;-)

    I'll send Max over with the Steamboat Kit. Call me when I need to drop the kids off & drive them to Emergency (or you?)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! The date-that-I-didn't-know-was-a-date-until-it-was-over! I've had a few of those.

    The other "kissed someone you didn't really want to" that I can remember is when I was around 14. Friend invites me over. And her boyfriend. Oh and look, his friend. Then we sit in the basement listening to Saga or something while friend and bf smooch on the couch and I sit next to some guy I have nothing in common with. Then he turns and plants one on me. Then I leave.

    fun times. At least my friend did call later to apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ myrtle -- sounds like you have enough for a "10 favourites" of your own! So?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The detail about sitting in the basement listening to Saga made me laugh. Was it "Wind Him Up", "On The Loose", or "I'm The Flyer"?

    I know a guy (who will remain nameless --- remember, I've joined The Gogos -- Our Lips Are Sealed :-) (sort of) who was asked by one of his co-workers (also nameless) if he wanted to go out for dinner and movie after work. They went out, and partway through the movie the invitee leaned over to the inviter and whispered "Is that Liv Tyler hot or what?" Which is when the inviter realized "oh, no gay guy would ever describe her like that! I guess he didn't realize it was a date..." It was years before he let the invitee know that he had intended for that to be a date.

    And being kissed by someone you didn't really want to kiss you isn't quite the same, if you didn't kiss back. Haven't we all accosted someone on their birthday in the glass walkway to the Armes Lecture Hall and given them a birthday smooch on the cheek, making them blush and scurry away in a titter of embarrassed giggles? That may count as unwanted attention but it's not kissing someone you regretted kissing as you did it!

    On the other hand, has anyone here ever invited a spotty git visiting from London to stay at their home for a few days, until their smarminess annoyed even the neighbours! "Wow, this is the most amazing sandwich I've ever had, how do you do it?". Kissing Mike the Spotty Git would count.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I never invited the spotty git to stay at my house. He showed up unannounced. If I remember, he never did stay. We took him to a social and he found some new friends.

    Yeah, that guy was annoying. Even my mom thought that. It takes a lot to annoy my mom.

    Luckily, he never tried to kiss me.

    ReplyDelete